Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Some Ridiculous Lines

These are just a few quotes from our adventure so far:

(in airport)
Laurie: "My goal for this trip is to bathe more often."
Me: "My goal is to bathe less."
"Another goal is to not get too sick."
Laurie: "I wouldn't keep that as a goal. It won't happen."

(on our 5 hour bus trip from Douala to Bamenda)
Lady preaching/leading songs on bus:
"Travelers should not travel with bad thoughts."
"How many people like to hear my voice?" -real question. people raised their hands.
"I am finished. People clap for me!"
"One more time."
(ps. she followed her "preaching" by selling soap)

(Nini is the very old woman in our compound-Laurie wrote about her on her blog.)
This was translated for us because she only speaks her dialect.
Nini: "If you were husband and wife, you would have a child in that house and name
her after me."

(Anna is the Cameroonian woman in charge of the after school program Laurie and Baine helped to start four years ago.)
Anna: "People are just people." -explaining why someone had made the mistake they had made.

Laurie: "I really like yelling at you. It makes me happy."
(Separate occasions)
: "Being mean to you makes me really happy."
: "I'll get my own granola bars!" -I don't really remember what was occurring.
: "I always keep chocolate in bed with me."
: "Pope smiking"

Laurie and me:
"I smell really good..."

Me: "I can't wait to have clean clothes!"

(Kindness is a 2 year old Cameroonian girl living in the compound)
Kindness: "Wabana(white man), carry me!"

2 comments: