Tuesday, January 18, 2011

(Inspired by) Cameroon Journal Entry #2

September 16, 2010

From Dan Miller's 48 Days to the Work You Love: "To the Hebrew man, his Thursday morning activities were just as much an expression of worship as being in the synagogue on the Sabbath. Nothing in Scripture depicts the Christian life as divided into sacred and secular parts."

(Not from the journal entry) I love this. I think there are two ways of looking at this idea(at least two, these are the two I can think of right now) and i think both are right. One is to see this idea as a commandment or a calling to worship Christ in all things, in "worship services" as well as in our daily activities. We are to choose to act in ways that worship Him. Another way to look at this idea is as an opportunity. We have the opportunity to worship Christ not only on Sundays, but everyday through any activity, big or small. We can continue our relationship with Him at any time, an opportunity created by Christ's death and resurrection.

At this point in my life, I'm still trying to figure out the practicality of my ideas and beliefs. But I think the ideas and beliefs we have, if kept in the forefront of our minds, tend to make their way into our actions.

This is a thought I had several years ago that still weirds me out. I may have even written it on here before but here it is: Where do my thoughts come from? I feel like I don't really have control of many of the thoughts that come to mind. My actions are a result of my thoughts, so if I'm not in control of my thoughts, I'm not in control of my actions! I know that sounds a bit crazy. Don't worry I'm not going mental. Like I said, if we keep our ideas and beliefs in the forefront of our mind, they intertwine themselves into our actions.

2 comments: